RECALLING OUR PAST, EMBRACING OUR PRESENT, INSPIRING A HOPE-FILLED FUTURE
“The Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center is intended to promote and preserve elements of the past but, perhaps more so, to promote and proclaim, to produce and provide for the present and the future.”
Most Reverend John M. Kudrick , Bishop of Parma
remarks at the dedication of the Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center on June 28, 2009
The Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center began as the dream of His Grace, the Most Reverend John M. Kudrick during planning for the 40th Anniversary Celebration of the Eparchy of Parma in 2008. Drawing his inspiration from the vision articulated by the late Metropolitan Judson Procyk at the 75th Anniversary of the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh in 1999, His Grace envisioned the Cultural Center as an integral element of the Eparchy’s ongoing evangelization effort.
With the dedicated work of many volunteers from the Cleveland Chapter of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, and the Bishop’s blessing, support and guidance, the dream became a reality. During the Eparchy’s 40th Anniversary Celebration Weekend, Bishop Kudrick formally dedicated the new Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center with a blessing and ribbon cutting on Sunday, June 28, 2009.
Originally the Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center shared space with both the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist, as well as the Chancery, at 1900 Carlton Road, Parma, Ohio. In the Fall of 2011, the Center began a relocation effort, and now the former Holy Ghost Church in Cleveland’s historic Tremont Neighborhood houses the Center.
Relocating has positioned the Center to impact more people, both Byzantine Catholics and a broader cross-section of society from the surrounding neighborhood, and therefore enabled it to accomplish its stated mission more effectively.
Our NEW Beginning
“Tremont is known for its monthly ArtWalk and its great many restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops and pubs. It is also known for its beautiful churches, which have stabilized Tremont through good times and bad.”
Tremont West Development Corporation
The story of the Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center’s property at Holy Ghost Church parallels the life of Tremont, the diverse and dynamic neighborhood we call our home. Our property evolved from a small ethnic parish serving Rusyn immigrants, to a thriving arts and cultural center under the leadership of Fr. Joseph Hanulya, to a dwindling population with the decline of the local steel industry, and now proudly emerged as one of the newest members of Tremont Neighborhood community.
Here in Tremont, we engage the community through participating in annual neighborhood events, such as the Tremont Arts and Cultural Festival, Taste of Tremont, and the monthly Tremont Neighborhood ArtWalk. These events provide welcoming and accessible opportunities to connect art, culture, food, and faith.
Dedicated in 1909, Descent of the Holy Ghost (Greek) Byzantine Catholic Church houses a breathtaking 24ft. high, Hungarian hand-carved wooden and gold gilt icon screen. Originally established as a parish to meet the spiritual needs of immigrants from the Carpathian Mountains of Central and Eastern Europe, throughout its history the church property served as home to the Sisters of Saint Basil the Great who ran an orphanage (1918-23) and later a school (1957-65). Cherished pastor, Rev. Joseph Hanulya (1918-53) nourished the faithful and the surrounding neighborhood spiritually, but also culturally through Rusyn language and poetry classes, violin lessons for local children, and numerous community choral and orchestral concerts.
Though Holy Ghost Parish closed in 2009 after celebrating 100 years of faithful service to God, Holy Ghost Church remains. On March 29 2011, the Most Reverend John M. Kudrick, Bishop of Parma, announced “I am pleased to inform you that we are investigating the establishment of a community of men monastics, together with lay and clergy associates, at the former Holy Ghost Church in downtown Cleveland.”
Prior to the Bishop’s announcement, Glen D. Ramage Architect, Inc. evaluated the buildings (church, hall, and rectory) on March 16, 2011, in order to assess the project’s feasibility with respect to structural integrity and system viability of the building. On March 23 of that year, the team submitted their written assessment and initial cost estimates.
With the architectural and engineering evaluations completed and following conversations with the Tremont West Development Corporation and other advisors to the Bishop, the property now serves as home to Nathanael House and the Byzantine Catholic Cultural Center, continuing the former parish’s tradition of offering the surrounding neighborhood a Byzantine Catholic expression of the vibrant artistic and cultural tradition that characterizes the Tremont Neighborhood.